Daisuke Maki > Text-QueryString > Text::QueryString

Download:
Text-QueryString-0.03.tar.gz

Dependencies

Annotate this POD

View/Report Bugs
Module Version: 0.03   Source  

NAME ^

Text::QueryString - Fast QueryString Parser

SYNOPSIS ^

    use Text::QueryString;

    my $tqs = Text::QueryString->new;
    my @query;

    @query = $tqs->parse("foo=bar&bar=baz");
    @query = $tqs->parse("foo=bar;bar=baz");
    @query = $tqs->parse("foo"); # foo => ""

DISCLAIMER ^

When I wrote this module, I didn't know about URL::Encode, which apparently does the same thing I wanted to do via url_param_flat() method. Upon closer examination, URL::Encode seems to be much faster, so if you came here searching for "query string" or something, then go look at that module instead.

DESCRIPTION ^

WARNING: Still in ALPHA quality! Use at your own risk!

Text::QueryString is for when you need that speed to parse those annoying query strings that they send to your webapp.

The reason this came to be is that we have encountered cases where we got hit by a relatively big performance degradation when moving from Apache based solution to Perl based solution, and taking the run time profile lead us to believe that URI / query parameter parsing was taking relative long time.

Normally just adding servers may be good enough, but since we were replacing old code to new code in hopes that things would get better, we just... expected better.

This performance degradation while understandable because obviously C is much faster when working with simple string like query strings, really made us feel sad, so much so that it made me want to just speed up parsing query parameters.

So here's Text::QueryString. By default the XS version is built and loaded. It will parse a given string, and run URI decoding on those values (URI decoding was completely stolen from Dan Kogai's URI::Escape::XS), and all is good.

It's your reponsibility to feed the results to whatever framework you're using. As an example: with Plack::Request, you might monkey patch the query_parameter() method like so:

    use Plack::Request;
    use Text::QueryString;
    no strict 'refs';
    my $tqs = Text::QueryString->new;
    *Plack::Request::query_parameter = sub {
        my $self    = shift;
        my $env     = $self->env;
        my $query   = $env->{'plack.request.query'};
        if ($query) {
            return $query;
        }
        $env->{'plack.request.query'} = Hash::MultiValue->new($tqs->parse($env->{QUERY_STRING}));
    };

There's a fallback pure-perl implementation in Text::QueryString::PP, but this is basically just there to provide a fallback when things just don't work. The code in Text::QueryString::PP was taken from URI::_query and slightly modified.

BENCHMARK ^

See tools/benchmark.pl for details:

    Building Text-QueryString
          Rate   pp   xs
    pp 13964/s   -- -76%
    xs 59077/s 323%   --

THANKS TO ^

Dan Kogai - For URI::Escape::XS

AUTHOR ^

Daisuke Maki <daisuke@endeworks.jp>

syntax highlighting: