James FitzGibbon > Thread-App-Shutdown > Thread::App::Shutdown

Download:
Thread-App-Shutdown-0.10.tar.gz

Dependencies

Annotate this POD

View/Report Bugs
Module Version: 0.01   Source  

NAME ^

Thread::App::Shutdown - a singleton to manage shutdown of a threaded application

SYNOPSIS ^

use Thread::App::Shutdown;
 my $shutdown = Thread::App::Shutdown->instance;
 my $transactions = 0;
 while( 1 ) {
    last if $shutdown->get();
    # do something monumentous
    if( ++$transactions > 1000 ) {
        $shutdown->set();
    }
 }

DESCRIPTION ^

*** A note of CAUTION ***

This module only functions on Perl version 5.8.0 and later.
 And then only when threads are enabled with -Dusethreads.  It
 is of no use with any version of Perl before 5.8.0 or without
 threads enabled.

Thread::App::Shutdown provides a singleton that can be used by multiple threads to coordinate the clean shutdown of a threaded application.

In a large threaded application, you might have one or more pools of worker threads plus a coordination thread, a thread receiving signals and a dedicated thread feeding input from some external source into the worker pool(s). When some predefined event happens (SIGTERM received, a particular type of input is received, x number of transactions have been processed by the worker pool, etc.), the application should shut down.

To effect this, you can create a shared variable for each of the event types and pass references to the variable to all of the discrete program units, or you can break with OO and have a single shared global variable that all program units look at as $main::shutdown or $Foo::shutdown.

Thread::App::Shutdown makes the second option cleaner. Anywhere in the program that the shutdown state has to be set or queried, simply retrieve an instance of Thread::App::Shutdown and call it's methods.

INSTANCE ACCESSOR ^

Because Thread::App::Shutdown is a singleton, you don't construct it with ->new(). To get a copy of the one and only object, use the ->instance() accessor.

If an instance of the class does not already exist, one will be created and returned. All subsequent uses of ->instance will return the same object. As such, it is important that the first instance of the Thread::App::Shutdown object be created prior to any other threads. Typically you would get the instance as part of the program initialization.

METHODS ^

set()

The set() method sets the flag to indicate that shutdown is pending. It returns the previous value of the shutdown flag.

get()

The get() method returns a true value or undef to indicate whether the shutdown flag is set or not.

my $shutdown = Thread::App::Shutdown->instance; lives_ok { $shutdown->set( 1 ) } 'set flag to 1'; is( $shutdown->get, 1, 'flag is set');

clear()

The clear() method resets the shutdown flag to indicate that shutdown is not pending. It also returns the previous value of the shutdown flag.

EXAMPLES ^

In your main program:

use threads;
 my $shutdown = Thread::App::Shutdown->instance;
 my $foo = Foo->new;
 my $thread = $foo->run;
 $SIG{TERM} = sub { $shutdown->set };
 $thread->join;

In Foo.pm:

package Foo;
 use threads;
 sub new { bless {}, $_[0] }
 sub run {
     my $shutdown = Thread::App::Shutdown->new;
     return threads->create( sub {
         while( 1 ) {
             last if( $shutdown->get );
             print "no shutdown yet\n";
             sleep(10);
         }
     } );
 }
 1;

This example is likely to work only on thread implementations that use pseudo-processes. On other thread implementations, POSIX::SigAction has to be used to ensure that only the main thread receives SIGTERM.

SEE ALSO ^

threads & threads::shared

Thread::SigHandler

Thread::Signal by Elizabeth Mattijsen.

AUTHOR ^

James FitzGibbon, <jfitz@CPAN.org>

COPYRIGHT ^

Copyright (c) 2003 James FitzGibbon. All Rights Reserved.

This module is free software; you may use it under the same terms as Perl itself.

syntax highlighting: